There are several easy steps that you will need to take in order to start your own website.
STEP BY STEP how to MAKE YOUR FIRST WEBSITE in 10 MINUTES!
QUICK START – launch your website
2) INSTALL WORDPRESS – one click wordpress install after sign up with bluehost.
3) CHOOSE A FREE OR PREMIUM THEME – Studiopress is who I use for premium themes (SEO ready, Fast Load Time, Solid Genesis Framework)
1) Find a Domain Name
The first step in how to make your first website is to find a domain name that you like. Go to GoDaddy.com or Blue Host and start searching for potential website addresses (URL’s or Domains) that are available.
Domain Name Tips:
1) Select a “.com” if available, .org & .net usually next in demand.
2) Find a domain that is (AMAP) As Memorable As Possible.
3) Pick a domain that is (ASAP) As Short As Possible.
4) Here is a fantastic online tool that offers suggestions for short or creative domain names…Domainr.com.
5) If you are having trouble brainstorming a name or domain here are two kickstart resources:
If you are starting a personal website or branding yourself as an expert may want to first check the availability of your own name as the domain name and I encourage you to reserve it if the “YourName.com” is available. You may also develop other brand names but securing your name.com regardless can be very valuable.
After you find your domain purchase it. If your not certain it will succeed I recommend only 1 year. Domains are typically $15 or less if they aren’t already purchased. If you find a domain that someone else has that you want you might be able to purchase it from them.
2) Host your Website
The second step in how to make your first website is purchasing your hosting plan. What is web hosting?
Web hosting is where your website and website files are actually located, on a computer somewhere that’s accessible to the Internet. Web hosting is one thing you have to pay for to start your first website. Most everything else you can do or learn to do for yourself for free.
A good hosting company to use is Bluehost.com. I have an account at Bluehost and it has a very easy WordPress Hosting & Setup. It is the recommended Hosting site of WordPress. I have also used Godaddy.com. There are various options. WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL (above)- How to setup hosting and launch wordpress with Bluehost.
3) Install WordPress
Once you have bought your hosting plan you can begin to set up your website. The third step in how to make your first website is to then install WordPress and practice using it. WordPress is the most popular tool that people use to build their own website.
4) Install a WordPress Theme
The fourth step in how to make your first website is for you to install a WordPress theme that will help you customize your new website. There are lots of themes available and many that are free. I suggest you practice with the default theme before moving on to a more custom free theme or purchased premium theme.
5) Install WordPress Plugins, Analytics, and Setup
The last step in how to make your first website is to setup your theme and website including plugins, logo, analytics, and theme setup.
List of Popular Plugins
- WordPress SEO – by Yoast
- W3 Total Cache – website load speed
- SumoMe vs OptinMonster- for email opt-ins and pop ups
- Collapse-O-Matic – for collapsible content
- Updraft Plus – back up website
- Blubrry Press – for Podcasts
- Ninja Forms – setup a contact form, survey, or other form.
I will Set Up Your Website For You – For Free
If you have more questions, after reading this how to make your first website tutorial, need more information or help, or even want me to SET IT UP FOR YOU FOR FREE! contact me here.